We are delighted to offer our unique Simply Modern Upholstery Course, the only comprehensive modern upholstery course in the country. This is a practical, project based learning experience, a course specialising in teaching how to upholster furniture using modern materials and techniques. Students work on a variety of pieces to give you a good grounding in modern upholstery, teaching valuable skills which you can carry with you. Each student works on new frames available for supply at the workshop and has their own work bench and tool kit for use during their course.
Students will create a portfolio of their work, with detailed, step by step photographs and notes of the techniques they are learning, this should have a section to showcase their work but should also be detailed so as to be used as a reference tool when working independently.
Courses run from Mon-Thu 9:15am-4:30pm throughout the year in the workshop, offering flexibility so students can split their course into weekly or fortnightly chunks or attend consecutively if preferred.
Our Simply Modern Upholstery Course is for those who have a love of contemporary design, from mid-century modern to current styles and who want to learn valuable skills. You may want to set up your own business, to work in the sector, or just to be able to upholster the furniture around you. (Beware, friends and family will come out of the woodwork with requests.)
- You’ll be introduced to the tools necessary for each step of your project.
- Choose your own fabrics and learn how to template, cut and pattern match.
- Learn to apply support systems before going on to apply stuffings and fillings.
- Learn stitching techniques and how to machine sew elements.
- You’ll have your own workstation with tools which will be available to use during your course weeks.
- The Simply Modern Upholstery Course is a minimum 10 weeks course.
- Cylindrical stool – 2 days
- Ottoman style bench – 1 week +
- Cocktail chair / mid century modern without upholstered arms – 1 week
- Headboards – 1 week
- Tub chair with decorative finish 2 weeks
- Parker knoll – 2 weeks
- Modern upholstered armchair – 2 weeks
From September 2023 we will be running separate groups on a Mon, Tue and Wed at the more family friendly times of 9:15-2:45pm. Students will book for one group and attend weekly during term time over 14 months.